As a long time roleplayer, I consider Mythras Classic Fantasy to be one of the finest games ever devised.
I’ve written a bundle of posts on this blog and sometimes it can be hard to find them. This page draws together some key posts organised thematically.
For folk interested in knowing why this gamer chose Classic Fantasy over other options, you should first read this post:
How does Classic Fantasy play?
The best way to understand a game is to play it. For me, this began with some solo gaming to see how well the system would emulate the Basic Set Dungeons & Dragons experiences I’d had as a kid. Here’s the sequence of reports I wrote:
- Classic Fantasy: Creating Characters (Part 1)
- Classic Fantasy: Creating Characters (Part 2)
- Classic Fantasy: Mistamere (Episode 1)
- Classic Fantasy: Mistamere (Episode 2)
- Classic Fantasy: Mistamere (Episode 3)
- Classic Fantasy: Mistamere (Episode 4)
- Classic Fantasy: Mistamere (Episode 5)
Developing my interest in solo play, I played through an urban burglary scenario to test out the system’s interaction with the Mythic solo engine:
Following these posts, my regular gaming group switched over to Classic Fantasy and we have been playing ever since. There were two posts about our early group sessions:
I played another solo adventure to showcase how arcane magic works:
- Classic Fantasy: Creating Flamepaw
- Classic Fantasy: Legend of the Fire Opal (Part 1)
- Classic Fantasy: Legend of the Fire Opal (Part 2)
- Classic Fantasy: Legend of the Fire Opal (Part 3)
I’ve been making various resources to support my own gaming and some of them might be useful to you:
- Classic Fantasy: Making References (Creature Cards)
- Classic Fantasy Race: Bruxx (Ratmen)
- Classic Fantasy Monster: Brass Dragonman
- Lost Tomb of the Dragon Knights (Introductory Adventure)
- 4 Lists for Mythras Characters (for player character depth)
Oh, and I’d be remiss if I didn’t point you to the places you can buy the game and supplements. All you need to play Classic Fantasy is:
If you want the full rules and some higher-level options, check out:
Hope that helps! Game on!